With this online calculator you will be able to calculate the additional expenses that remote working and how much the employer would pay ouy.
Employers are increasingly allowing remote working as an option for employees, even if this entails additional expenses at home, for example electricity and water costs, as well as how much you will potentially claim for a new computer or a table to work from home. So them, how does one calculate expenses from remote working? Luckily, with this helpful online calculator we have you covered.
How to use the remote work or work from home expenses calculator
Has your employer given you the go ahead to work remotely? Has the Coronavirus pandemic given you reason to work from home and you now would like to calculate how much in terms of expenses this may cost you? If any of the above, then now is the time to use our calculator to know how much work from home will cost you. These are the required fields :
- Electricity expenses : Indicate the increase in your electricity and lighting bill has increased the last month you have worked from home
- Telephone expenses : Indicate the increase in the telephone bill with respect to the last month before you worked from home.
- Internet bill : Indicate if you had to initiate a new contract with an internet service provider in order to work remotely.
- Gas bill : Indicate how much your gas bill has increased with respect to the last month before you were working remotely.
- Air conditioning bill : Indicate the increase in your air conditioning expenses with respect to the last month before you have worked.
Technical Equipment Expenses
- New computer expenses : did you have to buy a new computer to work remotely? Indicate how much you spent to obtain one.
- New computer screen expenses : indicate if you had to buy an additional monitor
- Computer mouse expenses : indicate if you had to buy a computer mouse for your workstation at home.
- Keyboard expenses : Indicate if you had to buy a keyboard for your new remote workstation
- Office chair expenses : indicate the price of the office chair that you bought to work from home
- Office desk expenses : indicate the price of the office desk that you bought to work remotely.
- Software licences : Did you have to obtain a licence in order to use a specific program that you needed for work and you were the one to pay for it? Indicate the relevant expenditure.
- Food expenses : indicate the rise in food expenditure.
Once you have filled in all the fields in accordance with your situation, click the ´Calculate´ button and you will automatically know the increase in cost in your expenses in order to work remotely.
Who pays utilities derived from remote working such as water, electricity and internet?
To answer this question one must consult the relevant labour standards and legislation of each country as well as the relevant collective agreement between employers and employees if applicable.
For example, the new British law on Remote Working requires the employee to ask for a tax break for these costs in the duration of the Coronavirus pandemic, but employees and employers are also subject to any collective agreement on the subject.